Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Frugal Right of Passage

The Crock Pot.

You know you're frugal when you bust out the Crock Pot!

So, despite the fact that we have owned a brand new one for over a year, I used it for the first time the other night. And it was a disaster. I should say, my husband was eventually able to save our dinner.

I read about this wonderfully yummy Mac N Cheese you bake all day in your Crock Pot. Perfect! We all love Mac N Cheese and I had all the ingredients on hand.

I should have known better and followed my instinct. As soon as I tossed all the ingredients in, I read the recipe over again, 4 or 5 times to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything. It just didn't look right. But, whatever. I gave my husband strict instructions not to lift the lid while I was at work. And off I went.

I got a phone call about 4 hours later from my husband telling me there must be something wrong. At first I wanted to blame it on him for peeking. But, he insisted he only did it once.

The layer of noodles that came in direct contact with the Pot were dried, burnt and had formed a giant solid noodle. And where was all the yummy cheese?

We managed to save it buy purchasing some pricey cheese to add. Thus adding about 100 additional grams of fat as well (let's be real, it wasn't a healthy dish to begin with though...)

I will give it another shot on Saturday when I attempt round two of Crock Potting.

Chicken Burritos.

Let's hope there was an ingredient accidentally omitted from the Mac N Cheese recipe I used, and not that there is something horribly wrong with my Crock Pot ... or dare I say, my cooking skills.

No comments: