Thursday, March 19, 2009

Easy Potato Soup

I really enjoy couponing and deal seeking, but sometimes with a 2 year old who refuses to behave in a store, I don't get to score as many deals as I would like. So, I have starting working really hard on cooking from scratch and using more whole foods to cut down on food costs.

Anyways, lastnight I made potato soup and it was yummy!

5 cups of diced potatoes
1 cup of diced carrots
1/2 cup of diced celery (could obviously use more but I didn't have much to work with)
1 small onion diced (the small onions that come in the bags at the grocery store)
1 can of corn
1 can of condensed cream soup (I used chicken)
3 cups of milk (I used whole)
1 8oz. bag of cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
A pinch of oregano
olive oil

Boil diced potatoes until they are soft. Saute diced carrots and celery in olive oil. Don't use too much oil or it'll make your soup oily... I probably used 1 maybe 2 tablespoons. If you keep the heat low enough on the stove top while you're sauteing, you don't have to worry about burning because you used less oil. I sauteed for about 15 minutes, then added the onion and sauteed another 10 minutes. In a soup pot, I combined all the ingredients and seasoned it with the spices. Serve as soon as the cheese is melted throughout the soup.

So tasty. My husband is a food snob to the highest degree, so when he enjoys the dishes I make, I know they are good!

I would make an entire second pot to put in the freezer for later if I had enough veggies on hand.

No comments: