Friday, February 6, 2009

Frugal Friday

How I saved money this week:

-Made homemade Valentines made out of cardstock I never use. I cut them into heart shapes and Alex colored them. I hope to make it to Walgreens to see if they have any cute stickers to add... which will be free using my Wags GC.
-Started religiously re-folding clothes that haven't been worn, or have been worn but aren't dirty. I am making it a huge priority to reduce utilities and I am trying desperately to cut back on laundry. So far I have noticed a HUGE difference in the amount of laundry I'm doing. It's nice.
-Bought a pair of jeans on clearance at Kohls. My old jeans were starting to get holes. I REALLY wanted to get a pair of jeans that were full price (come on, I thought EVERYTHING at Kohls is on sale, apparently not) but opted against them. I don't regret my decision.
-Initially Mike and I thought we would need a tax-preparer this year so we contacted someone who had been recommended to us who said they would charge $200. We opted trying Turbo Tax instead and it worked just fine.
-I have been allowing Mike to pick up extra hours at work, which ofcourse, comes with a price that I pay at home... a more tired husband who is not around as much to help me out. As a mom of a toddler, sometimes I feel like I'm going to lose my mind if I don't get a break at some point during the day.... but today I opted to let Mike sleep in because he's over tired from work. Hopefully I won't regret that decision tonight when Mike goes back to work.
-My parents took a trip to Vegas and my mom struck gold at a Dillards in AZ... she AND MY DAD (even he was super excited over all the great deals) bought lots of clothes for Alex, including 2 winter/fall jackets. The help they provide is a HUGE money saver for us. I certainly don't ever expect anything from them but am very grateful for all they do.

No comments: