Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Oatmeal

This stuff has been getting me out of bed each morning for a week... well, that is if you don't count the ::almost:: 2 year-old that is pushing me. Anytime I'm feeling extra sluggish, I remind myself of the baked oatmeal I have portioned out in the freezer. It's sooooo yummy.

1/4 cup of oil (I use vegetable)
1/2 cup of apple sauce
1/4 cup of packed brown sugar
2 eggs
3 cups of oatmeal (I use instant - not the microwave flavored kind but the kind that comes in a canister - but would prefer to use old fashioned b/c I believe it's healthier for you....)
2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup of milk (I use skim)
Optional: Handful of blueberries, but you could omit this or add any sort of fruit you enjoy (apple, strawberries, banana, dried fruit, nuts)

Mix ingredients in order listed. Pour into greased 8x8 baking dish (I spray it with PAM). Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes depending on how crispy you like the edges. Serve warm topped with a LITTLE brown sugar and a couple dabs of margarine. After it's cooled I make individual portions and put them into ziplock baggies for freezing. They are perfect zapped in the morning!

No comments: