Thursday, April 9, 2009

Organic on a budget?

So, one of my goals is to start incorporating more whole foods and organic foods. And less processed and pre-packaged foods. My dad recently had a very mild stroke and he has started eating and living a lot healthier. It has inspired me to do the same. It was definitely a wake-up call for the whole family.

As we all know, it's difficult to eat organically on a budget. Really difficult. Fortunately, the Kroger I shop at frequently often has organic markdowns. And I have also decided that it's worth it to me to add a little bit more to our grocery budget in order to get some organic food. Not all organic. But, some.

I came across this really helpful list. It gives a rundown of the fruits and vegetables that have the highest and lowest pesticide load. So, when I'm at the grocery store thinking about which fruits and veggies to buy organic, I refer to this list... knowing that it's ok to buy non-organic produce that has the lowest pesticide load.

Pesticide Load

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Meghan,

I think it's really great that you're trying to get your whole family to start eating organic and healthy. I could really take a few pages out of your book.

My name is Aaron from the Microsoft MSN Green team. We have some really cool articles about being green, but I thought you would especially appreciate this one about How to be a Budget Organic.

The article has some great tips like to buy organic produce in season (preferably local), when it's most affordable—usually it's half the cost.

I hope you find this article useful and I hope to hear from you with a comment below.

Healthy living,
Aaron